There are many advantages of going into the insurance industry. An insurance agent has flexible hours, independence, and gets to help clients solve problems. It is not a career for everyone though. It takes a certain type of person to thrive in this unstructured, fast-paced industry. In this article, we outline 10 traits that the majority of successful insurance professionals share.
10. Problem-solver: Do you enjoy coming up with creative solutions to problems? Much of this job is helping clients find the right insurance policies for their needs. If you get a sense of accomplishment from finding the right solution for a client, this career might be for you.
9. Self-motivated: Are you someone that can get yourself going every day without a ton of structure? To succeed in insurance sales, one must be a self-starter. Being an insurance agent means working more than just 9:00 to 5:00. It takes a lot of internal motivation to stay on track. Persistence and follow-up are keys to success.
8. Honest: This might seem obvious, but unethical insurance agents rarely stay in business very long. Telling the truth to clients is what will win respect and trust, which will result in higher retention of clients.
7. Sense of urgency: A great work ethic is required to be a top producing insurance agent. You must have the tenacity to pursue every lead and stay on top of follow-ups.
6. Resilience: If you are deterred easily by rejection, this career may not be for you. An insurance agent must be prepared to hear no often and not be fazed by it. It takes a great deal of patience to achieve success in this industry.
5. Passionate: To be a good insurance agent, it is important to be upbeat and engaging with clients. The more energy and enthusiasm you show for helping clients, the more you will connect with them.
4. Communication skills: Insurance is difficult for the average person to understand. Insurance agents who can easily explain coverage options in easy to digest ways are going to have much greater success than those who cannot.
3. Good listener: The key to being a good insurance agent is putting the needs of the client first. In order to do this, it is essential an agent listen carefully to what their prospective clients need and clearly demonstrate their interest in providing a proper solution. No one wants a stereotypical salesperson that won’t stop talking.
2. Networking skills: Do you have a large network? Are you comfortable asking friends, family, and clients for referrals? In order to grow your book of business, asking for referrals and networking will need to be second nature to you.
1. Love of learning: The insurance industry changes all the time, and it is essential to stay up-to-date on policies and state regulations. Good insurance agents love learning and want to understand the tax and legal aspects of the products they sell, as well as how they fit into a client’s financial portfolio.
You’ll get out of your career whatever you put into it. There is a certain level of commitment needed (time, money, energy) to make any business venture successful. Insurance is really no different. If you are passionate about insurance and have similar traits to those outlined here, you have a great shot at having a long and successful insurance career.